Recipe Share: Brown Butter Oatmeal Blondies

6:39 PM



Are you guys ready for this one?

A few days ago I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for chewy oatmeal blondies, only they called for an every day baking mix that 1. I wouldn't use in any other recipe and 2. I didn't feel like making, so I came up with my own recipe. And my oh my, they are delicious. I think I even surprised myself a little. :)

Chewy, sweet, salty, buttery goodness. Yes please! Blondies are brownies cousin so to speak, and just as delicious. And that's coming from a big chocolate fan! Generally speaking, if a dessert doesn't have chocolate in it, I'm usually not all that excited. These are an exception. You don't even miss the chocolate. If you don't believe me, try them for yourself. And if you still can't get passed the fact, go ahead and throw in a few chocolate bits, or even toffee. Possibilities are endless. My mom commented these reminded her of the salted caramel gelato we indulged on the previous night. Caramel? Yes! Salt? Yes! Butter? Yes! Are you convinced yet? ;)

Without further ado...
Brown butter oatmeal blondies
Yield: 12 squares

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup self-rising white flour
1/4 cup oats plus small handful for sprinkling on top


Method:
Preheat your oven to 350F. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Occasionally give the pan a swirl. *Note: The mixture will bubble and double in size so make sure your saucepan is high enough. Keep swirling once the bubbling starts. Watch carefully as light brown specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Once the color has changed remove from heat.

Beat 1 cup of packed brown sugar with the brown butter. 

Once butter has cooled slightly ( we don't want scrambled eggs), add the egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.

Add in your flour and salt. Next, your oats. Mix until just combined.

Line an 8x8 pan with greased parchment paper. Pour mixture in, spread evenly. You will end up with an almost caramel like batter. 

Sprinkle remaining oats on top. Press down slightly to make them stick. 

Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and firm.

Cool completely. 

Slice into squares and serve!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

 

like us on facebook

pinterest